Is there a super prayer language?
Somebody is wrong. Either the gift of tongues was intended to be a more intimate way for us to commune with God that all Christians are to experience as Charismaticism claims, or the modern tongues movement (glossaism) is one of the greatest frauds in the history of Christianity. We do not intend to be mean, but such claims deserve a biblical evaluation. In this study we defend the following:
- Glossaism is one of the greatest frauds in the history of Christianity.
- Glossaists cannot match the biblical attributes of the gift.
- The definition and use of “tongues” has significantly changed due to embarrassment, not exegesis of Scripture.
- In 1 Corinthians 14, the Apostle Paul was attempting to eliminate the same pagan, counterfeit “private prayer language” version of “tongues” that is occurring today.
- Glossaism has no answer for the Apostle’s clear statement: “Tongues are a [miraculous] sign for unbelievers” (1 Cor 14:21). Rather, the counterfeit version today makes Christians look crazy, just as Paul warned.
- Glossaists habitually sin by violating several biblical rules.
- The early Church testified universally to the cessation of the gift of tongues.
- Legitimate explanations for the current “tongues” phenomena are alarming.
View a chapter as a PDF
A: BEST– Most helpful, interesting and/or important chapters
B: ESSENTIAL– Important chapters to understand the topic
C: Specialized- Chapters for the more complex points of the topic